Old 31-08-2008, 04:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens
itsjoannotjoann itsjoannotjoann is offline

Default Black walnuts

On Aug 30, 9:08*pm, Gloria P wrote:
Kathleen wrote:
wrote:

Salutations, gentlefolk,

Did a bit of research and found that the little green tennisballs
falling in my front yard actually contain black walnuts.

Any advice on how to seperate the edible part from the *"containers'',
and prepare them ?

I'd probably offer them for free to anybody willing to come and pick
them up. *Removing the husk and shell is a major PITA, especially for
something that tastes the way toe jam smells.

"To each his own."

I think they are delicious--aromatic and not bitter like some English
walnuts. *They're wonderful in cookies or brownies. *They ARE a PITA
to extract from the shells, however, and never come out whole.

gloria p

YES! They are delicious and like eveyone else says, a pain to crack.
My neighbor has a tree and it's like driving over golf balls as most
fall into the street. The squirrels are happy with them, though.