Old 31-08-2008, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default lima beans

janet said:

I love fresh lima beans, but I never seem to get more than a few meals
worth from a dozen or so plants around a bean tower. I planted
Burpee's Big Mama pole limas this summer and the flavor is wonderful--
very sweet, but they're just not very productive. Romano beans
planted several feet away have so many beans I can't keep up with
them. Is this just the nature of lima bean plants, do they need
special conditions, or should I try another variety? Any other lima
bean growers out there?

Lima beans need to be pollinated. Snap beans (like Romano) are
self-pollinating.

I used to grow pole limas. "Christmas" was a good producer of
speckled beans. Cooked up sort of pale purple as a fresh sheller.

"King of the Garden" was a good producer of white beans (cook
up pale green as a fresh shell bean).

Grew the two together and ended up with a bunch of odd colored
lima beans of varying sizes.

I'd also tried a different pole lima at one point, with smaller seeds
than "King of the Garden" but it was far less productive.

Maybe I'll grow some pole lima beans again next year...

After enlightenment, the laundry.