Old 31-08-2008, 10:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default lima beans

I love fresh lima beans, but I never seem to get more than a few meals
worth from a dozen or so plants around a bean tower. I planted
Burpee's Big Mama pole limas this summer and the flavor is wonderful--
very sweet, but they're just not very productive. Romano beans
planted several feet away have so many beans I can't keep up with
them. Is this just the nature of lima bean plants, do they need
special conditions, or should I try another variety? Any other lima
bean growers out there?
Old 31-08-2008, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

janet said:

I love fresh lima beans, but I never seem to get more than a few meals
worth from a dozen or so plants around a bean tower. I planted
Burpee's Big Mama pole limas this summer and the flavor is wonderful--
very sweet, but they're just not very productive. Romano beans
planted several feet away have so many beans I can't keep up with
them. Is this just the nature of lima bean plants, do they need
special conditions, or should I try another variety? Any other lima
bean growers out there?

Lima beans need to be pollinated. Snap beans (like Romano) are
self-pollinating.

I used to grow pole limas. "Christmas" was a good producer of
speckled beans. Cooked up sort of pale purple as a fresh sheller.

"King of the Garden" was a good producer of white beans (cook
up pale green as a fresh shell bean).

Grew the two together and ended up with a bunch of odd colored
lima beans of varying sizes.

I'd also tried a different pole lima at one point, with smaller seeds
than "King of the Garden" but it was far less productive.

Maybe I'll grow some pole lima beans again next year...

After enlightenment, the laundry.

[IMG] code is On

Frozen Lima Beans James Edible Gardening 37 18-04-2007 12:46 PM
lima beans donald girod Gardening 5 24-10-2005 11:33 AM
lima beans donald girod Lawns 1 02-10-2003 03:22 PM
Dried Lima Beans not Viable for Planting lagniappe Gardening 3 26-03-2003 03:32 PM
Sprouting Dried Lima Beans (for garden) lagniappe Gardening 13 07-03-2003 10:08 PM