Old 31-08-2008, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] thefronny@gmail.com is offline

Default Newport plum has to go

We have a newport plum in the front yard here in Denver. Looked pretty
for a few days in the spring but never fruited much. This year though
it is about ready to snap in half from all the fruit. We don't want
the fruit and have had no success in finding people to pick it for
themselves. Birds and squirrels have trashed what's left and we have
tons of yellowjackets hanging around because of the sugar. Needless to
say the ground under the tree is a mess.

Is there any flowering, non-fruiting small tree that looks like a
newport plum? I'd love to get rid of this thing here but my wife loves
it when it's in bloom, and I have to agree.

thanks,

tf