Old 31-08-2008, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Newport plum has to go

We have a newport plum in the front yard here in Denver. Looked pretty
for a few days in the spring but never fruited much. This year though
it is about ready to snap in half from all the fruit. We don't want
the fruit and have had no success in finding people to pick it for
themselves. Birds and squirrels have trashed what's left and we have
tons of yellowjackets hanging around because of the sugar. Needless to
say the ground under the tree is a mess.

Is there any flowering, non-fruiting small tree that looks like a
newport plum? I'd love to get rid of this thing here but my wife loves
it when it's in bloom, and I have to agree.

thanks,

tf
Old 31-08-2008, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 31, 7:41 am, Bill wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
We have a newport plum in the front yard here in Denver. Looked pretty
for a few days in the spring but never fruited much. This year though
it is about ready to snap in half from all the fruit. We don't want
the fruit and have had no success in finding people to pick it for
themselves. Birds and squirrels have trashed what's left and we have
tons of yellowjackets hanging around because of the sugar. Needless to
say the ground under the tree is a mess.

Is there any flowering, non-fruiting small tree that looks like a
newport plum? I'd love to get rid of this thing here but my wife loves
it when it's in bloom, and I have to agree.

thanks,

tf

Look into double flowering trees. Single flowers produce fruit double
flowers are sterile as a general rule.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Thanks! I'll do that.

tf
Old 31-08-2008, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
wrote:

On Aug 31, 7:41 am, Bill wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Thought if you like the flowers why not do a slow prune. Next March
cut of some branches and bring them inside. Place in water to force the
bloom and remind you that spring is about soon.

http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...forcing_branch
es.htm

Some folks keep ugly plants about just for this. Very Chinese.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 31-08-2008, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

thefro wrote:

We have a newport plum in the front yard here in Denver. Looked pretty
for a few days in the spring but never fruited much. This year though
it is about ready to snap in half from all the fruit. We don't want
the fruit and have had no success in finding people to pick it for
themselves. Birds and squirrels have trashed what's left and we have
tons of yellowjackets hanging around because of the sugar. Needless to
say the ground under the tree is a mess.

Don't you own any pruning tools... how about a rake?

Is there any flowering, non-fruiting small tree that looks like a
newport plum? I'd love to get rid of this thing here but my wife loves
it when it's in bloom, and I have to agree.

There are many small purple leafed trees, check into crabapple... but
all trees (especially fruit trees) require regular pruning... and
work! Sounds like you have a healthy robust tree... there is nothing
wrong with that tree... you're the only problem, you're allergic to
work.... maybe you should consider a couple three pink plastic
flamingos, very decorative and no effort required.

Now won't this be purttier in front of your double wide than any
stinkin' plum tree:
http://i35.tinypic.com/346ue6d.jpg

Old 01-09-2008, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
We have a newport plum in the front yard here in Denver. Looked pretty
for a few days in the spring but never fruited much. This year though
it is about ready to snap in half from all the fruit. We don't want
the fruit and have had no success in finding people to pick it for
themselves. Birds and squirrels have trashed what's left and we have
tons of yellowjackets hanging around because of the sugar. Needless to
say the ground under the tree is a mess.

Is there any flowering, non-fruiting small tree that looks like a
newport plum? I'd love to get rid of this thing here but my wife loves
it when it's in bloom, and I have to agree.

thanks,

tf

Go cherry.
http://www.tfrog.com/garden/garden1.htm

The spring blossoms are magnificent and there is no fruit involved. For
about four weeks each year, the entire front of our house is lit in a pink
glow.

dwight

Old 06-09-2008, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Have you tried looking for a food bank in your area? Or a church?
I found one in L.A. that was happy to come out for an overabundance of
plums one year.

I've recently discovered Desert Willow (chilopsis linearis). They get
stunning pink flowers, no fruit and they're more drought tolerant.
They are more shrubby, but can be trained as standards. Or, how about
a nice native Colorado tree?

--------
USDA Zone: 10
Southern California