Old 09-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Jan Flora

Default Rhubarb

In article ink.net,
"Jim" wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 00:06:12 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
When does rhubarb come up? I planted some last year but have not seen

any
come up yet this year. I live in central Maryland - Zone 6.

I live in Frederick, MD. Tried twice to grow rhubarb. Once it lasted

one
year and once it lasted 2 years and just went away.

I have since have grown it as an annual from seed. Start it in the fall

in
1 gal containers -- keep it under lights over winter -- harvest it the

next
summer. Generally get enough for one pie. Which is about all I ever

eat
anyway.

That's got to be one *expensive* pie. ;-)

zhan

Actually I didn't tell the whole story. I start the seeds under lights --
but for the most part they are either outdoors or in our fairly large
south-facing sunroom. Seeds cost about $2.00. But I guess your right I
could probably buy a bunch at the super for what I spend -- or a pie for
that matter. But then what would I do to entertain myself.

Jim

If USDA inspection stuff for shipping plants between states wasn't
such a PITA, I would ship you fresh starts every spring, for the cost
of the shipping. The rhubarb patch in front of the old homestead house
here keeps creeping out into a hay meadow. I keep digging the creepers
up and giving them away, along with a bucket of composted cow manure.
(We raise beef cattle.)

If whoever lives in Frederick ever meets a piano teacher named Aglaia
Koras, tell her Janet from Mills High says hello. She was one of my best
friends in high school. (Aglaia's family is Greek, which is why she got
named after a godess.) In fact, if she's in the phone book, you could call
her and give her my email address. I was going to write to her, but
couldn't find a street address online...

Jan
Homer, Alaska