Old 02-09-2008, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Grow light

On Sep 2, 1:58 am, danny22 wrote:
Howdy

found a huge lightbulb in my cupboard. by no means do i think it has
the potential to be anything closely resembling proper grow lights, but
is it worth putting it on by my citrus plants anyway? just as a little
something tiny extra? its one of those coil type energy saving ones

30watts, but equivalent to 150watts
220-240v
50-60hz
1900 lumens

thanks all

--
danny22

The important thing is the range of wavelengths that come out.
Most light bulbs have too much red and not enough blue and are missing
some wavelengths in particular that tell plants that they are in
bright light. The net result can be mixed signals for the plant with
the plant thinking it is in shade and trying to grow towards the
light, making it thin and weak. Some plants do ok in fluorescent
lights; I have no idea about the energy saving ones. At a guess, it
will not help the citrus plants much if at all.

Des