Old 02-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Registered User

Default Grow light

Howdy

found a huge lightbulb in my cupboard. by no means do i think it has the potential to be anything closely resembling proper grow lights, but is it worth putting it on by my citrus plants anyway? just as a little something tiny extra? its one of those coil type energy saving ones

30watts, but equivalent to 150watts
220-240v
50-60hz
1900 lumens

thanks all
Old 02-09-2008, 03:33 AM
Registered User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny22 View Post
Howdy

found a huge lightbulb in my cupboard. by no means do i think it has the potential to be anything closely resembling proper grow lights, but is it worth putting it on by my citrus plants anyway? just as a little something tiny extra? its one of those coil type energy saving ones

30watts, but equivalent to 150watts
220-240v
50-60hz
1900 lumens

thanks all
Hi Danny, sounds like a perfect time for what we used to call "Lemon

Technology", excuse the obvious pun, but suck it and see.

I have used plant lights indoors during winter for my tenderest plants,

worked O.K., but it tended to force them, so they were even more

vulnerable.

Good Luck.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
danny22

The important thing is the range of wavelengths that come out.
Most light bulbs have too much red and not enough blue and are missing
some wavelengths in particular that tell plants that they are in
bright light. The net result can be mixed signals for the plant with
the plant thinking it is in shade and trying to grow towards the
light, making it thin and weak. Some plants do ok in fluorescent
lights; I have no idea about the energy saving ones. At a guess, it
will not help the citrus plants much if at all.

Des
Old 02-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Registered User

yeah, I've heard that off some other people too. its quite a weak light so i don't think it will promote growth, just a little added extra they are in a south facing window, hopefully that'll be enough to see them through the winter!

Danny
Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from danny22 contains these words:

yeah, I've heard that off some other people too. its quite a weak light
so i don't think it will promote growth, just a little added extra
they are in a south facing window, hopefully that'll be enough to see
them through the winter!

You can buy 'daylight' spectrum bulbs for just this purpose.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 14-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Registered User

Plant growth LED lights are light-emitting diodes, said this is due to cause the lamp to produce light. These lights are convenient because they came to an array of colors used in the plant growth, they produce a lot of light, it is easy to concentrate when you need it. They have a very long life as well.
hydroponics