Old 02-09-2008, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default Where to start?

"glenita" wrote in message

The tea roses are the result of crossing of two orginal China roses
with
various Bourbons and Noisette roses. Tea roses are considerably more
tender than other Old Garden Roses. They grow at any place. They
only
need good nourishment.
-------------------
Glenita

Tea roses are tender, meaning they can't handle harsh winters. Hence
they cannot "grow at any place". They do well in Zone 7 or warmer. I
suppose one could protect them over winter in colder zones but why
bother? There are roses that can handle colder weather. I learned
that lesson - albeit from the too warm side of the equation - the hard
way. Now when I have to replace a rose, I'm more than likely to
replace it with a Tea. They have done extremely well in my garden and
seem to require little care. I do water my roses regularly and keep
them mulched, but feeding is haphazard at best.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA