Old 03-09-2008, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default Is this normal?

wrote in message ...
I've seen my climbing roses getting yellow canes on them...one or
two....is this normal for this time of year? I'm pretty new to
growing them....it's been dry but I have been watering them once a
week.....I'm in zone 5b....any thoughts?...or am I just getting
panicky.....; )

I'm not sure what you mean by yellow canes. Yellow leaves, sure, but
usually canes go from green to brown to gray over time (and even that
varies by rose type - some rose canes start out as red).

Maybe if you mention the type of climbing roses you have, how long
they've been planted, the type of soil, other cultural conditions,
feeding schedule, we might be able to figure something out.

The only thing that springs to mind is too much water but since you
say it's been dry where you are, and you're only watering once per
week, that shouldn't be a problem.

Speaking of feeding, climbers are supposed to be heavy feeders
(although mine seem to do ok on my less than perfect feeding
schedule). What's your feeding schedule?

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA