Old 06-09-2008, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Asiatic Lily

On Sep 5, 7:42 pm, Artful Dodger wrote:
When I bought this plant, it had beaucoup lovely blooms. After they
fell off, I expected, according to the plant tag and the Western
Garden Book, that I would get lots more. But it's been at least six
months, and nothing has budged. Not even any new growth, despite TLC.

This is my first go-around with any Lilium. I didn't even know it had
a bulb, until I just transplanted it, in the hope that a new
environment might bring blooms. It IS a bulb, isn't it? Round and
white?

Any experience out there? (This is So Cal coastal)

TIA

Hypatia

Hypatia
Yes, true lilies are bulbs. And they are once a season bloomers.
If you have Sunset Garden Book 2001, seventh Edition, look at p. 433
and start with the 6th paragraph about care after blooming. The stems
will be turning brown and need to be cut back. When you do this, be
sure to mark the location so you don't dig them up by accident.
Read about further care down to the bottom of the page.
If you have gophers and the lilies are in the ground they will need to
be protected by wire cages or they won't be there next Spring!!
Emilie
NorCal