Old 06-09-2008, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Asiatic Lily

When I bought this plant, it had beaucoup lovely blooms. After they
fell off, I expected, according to the plant tag and the Western
Garden Book, that I would get lots more. But it's been at least six
months, and nothing has budged. Not even any new growth, despite TLC.

This is my first go-around with any Lilium. I didn't even know it had
a bulb, until I just transplanted it, in the hope that a new
environment might bring blooms. It IS a bulb, isn't it? Round and
white?

Any experience out there? (This is So Cal coastal)

TIA

Hypatia
Old 06-09-2008, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 5, 7:42 pm, Artful Dodger wrote:
When I bought this plant, it had beaucoup lovely blooms. After they
fell off, I expected, according to the plant tag and the Western
Garden Book, that I would get lots more. But it's been at least six
months, and nothing has budged. Not even any new growth, despite TLC.

This is my first go-around with any Lilium. I didn't even know it had
a bulb, until I just transplanted it, in the hope that a new
environment might bring blooms. It IS a bulb, isn't it? Round and
white?

Any experience out there? (This is So Cal coastal)

TIA

Hypatia

Hypatia
Yes, true lilies are bulbs. And they are once a season bloomers.
If you have Sunset Garden Book 2001, seventh Edition, look at p. 433
and start with the 6th paragraph about care after blooming. The stems
will be turning brown and need to be cut back. When you do this, be
sure to mark the location so you don't dig them up by accident.
Read about further care down to the bottom of the page.
If you have gophers and the lilies are in the ground they will need to
be protected by wire cages or they won't be there next Spring!!
Emilie
NorCal
Old 06-09-2008, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 5, 10:42*pm, Artful Dodger wrote:
When I bought this plant, it had beaucoup lovely blooms. * After they
fell off, I expected, according to the plant tag and the Western
Garden Book, that I would get lots more. *But it's been at least six
months, and nothing has budged. *Not even any new growth, despite TLC.

This is my first go-around with any Lilium. *I didn't even know it had
a bulb, until I just transplanted it, in the hope that a new
environment might bring blooms. *It IS a bulb, isn't it? *Round and
white?

Any experience out there? *(This is So Cal coastal)

TIA

Hypatia

Just like the Red Sox- wait til next year.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

beecrofter wrote:
On Sep 5, 10:42 pm, Artful Dodger wrote:

When I bought this plant, it had beaucoup lovely blooms. After they
fell off, I expected, according to the plant tag and the Western
Garden Book, that I would get lots more. But it's been at least six
months, and nothing has budged. Not even any new growth, despite TLC.

This is my first go-around with any Lilium. I didn't even know it had
a bulb, until I just transplanted it, in the hope that a new
environment might bring blooms. It IS a bulb, isn't it? Round and
white?

Any experience out there? (This is So Cal coastal)

TIA

Hypatia

Just like the Red Sox- wait til next year.

2004 - we don't have to say that anymore.
Old 13-09-2008, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 5, 7:42 pm, Artful Dodger wrote:
When I bought this plant, it had beaucoup lovely blooms. After they
fell off, I expected, according to the plant tag and the Western
Garden Book, that I would get lots more. But it's been at least six
months, and nothing has budged. Not even any new growth, despite TLC.

This is my first go-around with any Lilium. I didn't even know it had
a bulb, until I just transplanted it, in the hope that a new
environment might bring blooms. It IS a bulb, isn't it? Round and
white?

Any experience out there? (This is So Cal coastal)

TIA

Hypatia

OK, I finally located the plant tag that I referred to above.
It reads: "An elegant low-season display of showy blooms.
deal choice for beds, borders and cutting gardens."

I planted it in Spring, So. Calif Coastal, in good soil, with TLC.
So it should have bloomed for momths. But, as mentioned above,
after the first blooms fell off, no more blooms, no more growth.

Still puzzled why.

I have transplanted it, and now see that it is yellowing,
apparently in season. I will cut it down when it's ready,
and hope for some action next year.

Old 14-09-2008, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Artful Dodger wrote:

OK, I finally located the plant tag that I referred to above.
It reads: "An elegant low-season display of showy blooms.
deal choice for beds, borders and cutting gardens."

I planted it in Spring, So. Calif Coastal, in good soil, with TLC.
So it should have bloomed for momths. But, as mentioned above,
after the first blooms fell off, no more blooms, no more growth.

Rather few Lilium true lilies rebloom. Most bloom only once either in
spring or for some big varieties in late summer. Those which bloom
earliest sometimes rebloom less impressively late summer/early autumn, and
a few cultivars have enhanced this never completely certain possibility,
but the majority of liliums are not expected to bloom more than once.

-paghat the ratgirl

--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 14-09-2008, 07:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 13, 6:35 pm, (paghat) wrote:
In article
,

Artful Dodger wrote:

OK, I finally located the plant tag that I referred to above.
It reads: "An elegant low-season display of showy blooms.
deal choice for beds, borders and cutting gardens."

I planted it in Spring, So. Calif Coastal, in good soil, with TLC.
So it should have bloomed for momths. But, as mentioned above,
after the first blooms fell off, no more blooms, no more growth.

Rather few Lilium true lilies rebloom. Most bloom only once either in
spring or for some big varieties in late summer. Those which bloom
earliest sometimes rebloom less impressively late summer/early autumn, and
a few cultivars have enhanced this never completely certain possibility,
but the majority of liliums are not expected to bloom more than once.

Typo in my msg: Tag should have read "An elegant LONG season
display..." etc.

OK, I guess they lied.

My first experience with lilium, so I won't waste any more worry on
it.

Tx, paghat!

Old 14-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Registered User

The stems will be axis amber and charge to be cut back. When you do this, be sure to mark the area so you don't dig them up by accident. Read about added affliction down to the basal of the page.
Hydroponics Gardening