Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Brussell Sprouts with no Sprouts!

" wrote in

oups.com:

I can hardly believe that! I'm in northern Wisconsin and
my plants will just plain freeze to death before then! I
sure would like to know what the deal is though. This has
never happened before.

have you tried topping them? cut off the tops. that sometimes
forces them to make sprouts.
if it was too cool they may not make sprouts. if it's too hot
they don't make sprouts either, until it starts cooling down
at night.
i've had years where they didn't start forming sprouts until
September, but i had nice fat sprouts by Thanksgiving, even
after a couple freezes. i'm in NH. i also just leave them on
the plants all winter & harvest as needed. freezing makes them
sweeter.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair