Old 08-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Vincentboo Vincentboo is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Because we know that so many other similar tropical flowering plants cannot be grown in this country, not even as house plants (except in botanical collections where they have tropical houses to recreate the necessary conditions) our natural instinct is to think it will be a waste of time even to try a plant like this. Most tropical plants that are commonly sold as houseplants in Britain are forest understorey plants whose natural light levels are low, or are grown for foliage only.

So you have to prove that it can be grown and flower well here first before people will pay any money for one. Perhaps you could offer one for free to someone who is willing to try it (sorry, not me). Then you'd have a track record, and would be able to offer it.

People living in frost-free areas of southern/coastal Spain, Portugal and Italy might be more interested. They have higher light levels, and can grow a lot of tropical plants. But not all of them.
Any other opinion on this plant?