Old 10-09-2008, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default privet hedge

In article ,
says...
I have been told that I must pick up all clippings from a privet hedge
if they fall in a flower border, on the grounds that the cutting inhibit
growth of other plants. I suspect this is an old wife's tale. Is there
any substance to it?

unless they are actually on top of plants they will do no harm, the "It
will take nitrogen from the soil" statement is technically possible but
in practice never happens as there is plenty of nitrogen in the air
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk