Old 10-09-2008, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default privet hedge

I have been told that I must pick up all clippings from a privet hedge
if they fall in a flower border, on the grounds that the cutting inhibit
growth of other plants. I suspect this is an old wife's tale. Is there
any substance to it?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"eric" wrote in message
I have been told that I must pick up all clippings from a privet hedge if
they fall in a flower border, on the grounds that the cutting inhibit
growth of other plants. I suspect this is an old wife's tale. Is there
any substance to it?

Not in my experience.

Mary

Old 10-09-2008, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:40:53 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"eric" wrote in message
.. .
I have been told that I must pick up all clippings from a privet hedge if
they fall in a flower border, on the grounds that the cutting inhibit
growth of other plants. I suspect this is an old wife's tale. Is there
any substance to it?

Not in my experience.

Mary

I think it's best to shred privet though before composting it though
to speed up the process.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 10-09-2008, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

Even so, plants cannot absorb this gaseous nitrogen through their leaves.

Peas, beans, lentils, clover etc can, I understand, and there is work
going on at the moment to genetically engineer the ability into other
types of crop in order to reduce the need for the energy-hungry
manufacture of artificial fertilisers.

Pulses fix free nitrogen (present in soil) through their roots, in
association with radicicola zoospores.

Mary

Old 14-09-2008, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

eric wrote:
I have been told that I must pick up all clippings from a privet hedge
if they fall in a flower border, on the grounds that the cutting inhibit
growth of other plants. I suspect this is an old wife's tale. Is there
any substance to it?

Thanks to all who replied.
I think now that the notion is not so much an old wife's tale as a
reasonable but wrong attempt to explain some common observations: a)
nothing grows under a privet hedge (because it is too dry and in
shadow); and b) when you look under a privet hedge you see lots of old
cuttings and leaves (because privet doesn't rot down quickly).
So the leaves must cause the lack of anything growing .. (NOT)
I'll act accordingly.
Thanks again.
Old 14-09-2008, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
eric writes:

| I think now that the notion is not so much an old wife's tale as a
| reasonable but wrong attempt to explain some common observations: a)
| nothing grows under a privet hedge (because it is too dry and in
| shadow); and b) when you look under a privet hedge you see lots of old
| cuttings and leaves (because privet doesn't rot down quickly).

Yes, with one correction. Privet rots down as fast as most things,
but twigs and leaves don't rot down when they remain dry!

You will see exactly the same effect with most thick evergreens,
including most conifers, laurel, rhododendrons and so on. The effect
shows even with Cotoneaster and Cistus! Privet is in not exceptional.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Good company for a privet hedge? PJ United Kingdom 2 11-08-2003 11:32 AM
A Privet Hedge Question Willy Skass Lawns 2 11-06-2003 07:20 AM
Kickstarting new privet hedge Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. Gardening 0 15-04-2003 05:44 AM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 08:55 AM
Privet hedge and camoflauge Micko United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 08:19 AM