Old 10-09-2008, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default ID this flower, please?

On Sep 10, 9:52*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
"Cat(h)" writesI took these pics in early August in NW Ireland.
Those plants (about 3 or 4 of them) were growing amids lots of weeds
on piles of topsoil disturbed on a building site. *I looked around,
but could not find anything similar nearby, in gardens or in the
surrounding countryside.
I would say they were approx 50 to 80cm tall. *The flowers themselves
were relatively large, maybe 8 to 10cm in diametre.
Can anyone help?
TIA!
http://i38.tinypic.com/2jcwt2h.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/o6k9p4.jpg

Not a plant I'm familiar with (i.e. I don't think I've ever seen it) but
try elecampane (Inula helenium).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Just google imaged it, and it's exactly right!
Thanks a mil!
Cat(h)