Old 10-09-2008, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID this flower, please?

I took these pics in early August in NW Ireland.
Those plants (about 3 or 4 of them) were growing amids lots of weeds
on piles of topsoil disturbed on a building site. I looked around,
but could not find anything similar nearby, in gardens or in the
surrounding countryside.
I would say they were approx 50 to 80cm tall. The flowers themselves
were relatively large, maybe 8 to 10cm in diametre.
Can anyone help?
TIA!
http://i38.tinypic.com/2jcwt2h.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/o6k9p4.jpg

Old 10-09-2008, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
"Cat(h)" writes
I took these pics in early August in NW Ireland.
Those plants (about 3 or 4 of them) were growing amids lots of weeds
on piles of topsoil disturbed on a building site. I looked around,
but could not find anything similar nearby, in gardens or in the
surrounding countryside.
I would say they were approx 50 to 80cm tall. The flowers themselves
were relatively large, maybe 8 to 10cm in diametre.
Can anyone help?
TIA!
http://i38.tinypic.com/2jcwt2h.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/o6k9p4.jpg

Not a plant I'm familiar with (i.e. I don't think I've ever seen it) but
try elecampane (Inula helenium).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-09-2008, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 9:52*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
"Cat(h)" writesI took these pics in early August in NW Ireland.
Those plants (about 3 or 4 of them) were growing amids lots of weeds
on piles of topsoil disturbed on a building site. *I looked around,
but could not find anything similar nearby, in gardens or in the
surrounding countryside.
I would say they were approx 50 to 80cm tall. *The flowers themselves
were relatively large, maybe 8 to 10cm in diametre.
Can anyone help?
TIA!
http://i38.tinypic.com/2jcwt2h.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/o6k9p4.jpg

Not a plant I'm familiar with (i.e. I don't think I've ever seen it) but
try elecampane (Inula helenium).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Just google imaged it, and it's exactly right!
Thanks a mil!
Cat(h)
Old 10-09-2008, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
I took these pics in early August in NW Ireland.
Those plants (about 3 or 4 of them) were growing amids lots of weeds
on piles of topsoil disturbed on a building site. I looked around,
but could not find anything similar nearby, in gardens or in the
surrounding countryside.
I would say they were approx 50 to 80cm tall. The flowers themselves
were relatively large, maybe 8 to 10cm in diametre.
Can anyone help?
TIA!
http://i38.tinypic.com/2jcwt2h.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/o6k9p4.jpg

Inula, possibly?

Spider

Old 10-09-2008, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 10:26*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

I took these pics in early August in NW Ireland.
Those plants (about 3 or 4 of them) were growing amids lots of weeds
on piles of topsoil disturbed on a building site. *I looked around,
but could not find anything similar nearby, in gardens or in the
surrounding countryside.
I would say they were approx 50 to 80cm tall. *The flowers themselves
were relatively large, maybe 8 to 10cm in diametre.
Can anyone help?
TIA!
http://i38.tinypic.com/2jcwt2h.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/o6k9p4.jpg

Inula, possibly?

Spider

Thanks to you and Stewart.
I'm googling it and liking what I'm finding. I thought it was a
garden escapee, but maybe not.
And it has nice celtic folklore attaching to it.
Thanks again!
Cat(h)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elecampane

Old 10-09-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
"Cat(h)" writes
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

[...]

According to the flora I identified it from, it's an old garden escapee.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-09-2008, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 11:17*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
"Cat(h)" writes

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

[...]

Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

in my Irish Flora, it is described as rather rare and not native and
usually found near houses and ruins which makes it "an old garden
escapee". Well spotted that man.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 11:44*pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Sep 10, 11:17*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley

wrote:
In message
,
"Cat(h)" writes

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

[...]

escapee". *Well spotted that man.- Hide quoted text -

Any indication of how old is old?
It's a nice plant. It was really odd how it turned up just in that
pile of disturbed building site soil, and appeared to be present in
none of the local gardens - I checked, because I spent some time in
the locality, and was really intrigued.
Anyway, thank you all.

Cat(h)
Old 11-09-2008, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/9/08 21:02, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

I took these pics in early August in NW Ireland.
Those plants (about 3 or 4 of them) were growing amids lots of weeds
on piles of topsoil disturbed on a building site. I looked around,
but could not find anything similar nearby, in gardens or in the
surrounding countryside.
I would say they were approx 50 to 80cm tall. The flowers themselves
were relatively large, maybe 8 to 10cm in diametre.
Can anyone help?
TIA!
http://i38.tinypic.com/2jcwt2h.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/o6k9p4.jpg

I think it could be Inula magnifica. We have two types in the garden and
that's one of them but I'm not sure if yours is tall enough. I am dredging
my memory for the other at the moment but will have to ask Ray and report
back!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-09-2008, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 11, 9:16 am, Sacha wrote:
On 10/9/08 21:02, in article
, "Cat(h)"

wrote:
[...]

Stewart is right; it looks like Inula helenium which is found
naturalised near old buildings in Ireland. It is widespread but
rare. It was widely used medicinally in times past.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 11, 9:16*am, Sacha wrote:
On 10/9/08 21:02, in article
, "Cat(h)"

wrote:
[...]

From the colour/structure of the foliage and sheer size, I think
helenium is a closer match.
Either way, I am delighted to have learned about a new plant.
Thank you all!
Cat(h)
Old 11-09-2008, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/9/08 17:09, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Sep 11, 9:16*am, Sacha wrote:
On 10/9/08 21:02, in article
, "Cat(h)"

wrote:
[...]

From the colour/structure of the foliage and sheer size, I think
helenium is a closer match.
Either way, I am delighted to have learned about a new plant.
Thank you all!
Cat(h)

I. magnifica goes up to 6' to 8' so that should help clinch it! I. Helenium
is the shorter one we have, something between 2' and 3' tall.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 11/9/08 17:09, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Sep 11, 9:16*am, Sacha wrote:
On 10/9/08 21:02, in article
, "Cat(h)"

wrote:
[...]

From the colour/structure of the foliage and sheer size, I think
helenium is a closer match.
Either way, I am delighted to have learned about a new plant.
Thank you all!
Cat(h)

I. magnifica goes up to 6' to 8' so that should help clinch it! I. Helenium
is the shorter one we have, something between 2' and 3' tall.

The other plant I considered was common fleabane, Pulicaria dysenterica
(which I've seen in 3 localities), but the flower size is enough to
distinguish it. (The capitulum of Inula helenium is also more "ragged",
and there are differences in the involucre.)

(Actually my line of thought was "that looks like Pulicaria dysenterica,
but it's not quite right - lets look up Inuleae in the book.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley