Old 10-09-2008, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default ID this flower, please?

On Sep 10, 11:44*pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Sep 10, 11:17*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley

wrote:
In message
,
"Cat(h)" writes

On Sep 10, 10:26*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

I took these pics in early August in NW Ireland.
Those plants (about 3 or 4 of them) were growing amids lots of weeds
on piles of topsoil disturbed on a building site. *I looked around,
but could not find anything similar nearby, in gardens or in the
surrounding countryside.
I would say they were approx 50 to 80cm tall. *The flowers themselves
were relatively large, maybe 8 to 10cm in diametre.
Can anyone help?
TIA!
http://i38.tinypic.com/2jcwt2h.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/o6k9p4.jpg

Inula, possibly?

Spider

Thanks to you and Stewart.
I'm googling it and liking what I'm finding. *I thought it was a
garden escapee, but maybe not.
And it has nice celtic folklore attaching to it.
Thanks again!
Cat(h)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elecampane

According to the flora I identified it from, it's an old garden escapee..
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

my Irish Flora, it is described as rather rare and not native and
usually found near houses and ruins which makes it "an old garden
escapee". *Well spotted that man.- Hide quoted text -

Any indication of how old is old?
It's a nice plant. It was really odd how it turned up just in that
pile of disturbed building site soil, and appeared to be present in
none of the local gardens - I checked, because I spent some time in
the locality, and was really intrigued.
Anyway, thank you all.

Cat(h)