Old 09-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Drakanthus

Default Rhubarb in pots?

Is it a good thing to grow rhubarb in pots?
I don't have room in the garden for a permanent home.

A pot on the patio is a possible answer.
Variety is Timperely Early, a young plant bought this month.

Ta

Jonathan

I've just done the same thing. Wherever our rhubarb was in the veg plot it seemed
to get in the way. It has been moved 5 times over the last three years. We could
have done with a variety that grew wheels on it roots! The next best thing was a
tub, so I bought a 60 litre tub and filled it with a mixture of rotted garden
compost and soil, leaving a two inch gap at the top to allow for watering. It is
now basking in the sun on the patio. I expect it to do well provided it is well
fed and watered.
Rhubarb grows quite a large root system so don't use too small a pot. I've taken
quite a fancy to the tubs from Wickes made from black plastic with white rope
handles. They are sold to hold builders stuff, but with some holes drilled in the
bottom make excellent heavy duty pots (about 60 litres) for only £5.99.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)