Old 09-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Jonathan Culver

Default Rhubarb in pots?

Is it a good thing to grow rhubarb in pots?
I don't have room in the garden for a permanent home.

A pot on the patio is a possible answer.
Variety is Timperely Early, a young plant bought this month.

Ta

Jonathan
Old 09-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Drakanthus

Is it a good thing to grow rhubarb in pots?
I don't have room in the garden for a permanent home.

A pot on the patio is a possible answer.
Variety is Timperely Early, a young plant bought this month.

Ta

Jonathan

I've just done the same thing. Wherever our rhubarb was in the veg plot it seemed
to get in the way. It has been moved 5 times over the last three years. We could
have done with a variety that grew wheels on it roots! The next best thing was a
tub, so I bought a 60 litre tub and filled it with a mixture of rotted garden
compost and soil, leaving a two inch gap at the top to allow for watering. It is
now basking in the sun on the patio. I expect it to do well provided it is well
fed and watered.
Rhubarb grows quite a large root system so don't use too small a pot. I've taken
quite a fancy to the tubs from Wickes made from black plastic with white rope
handles. They are sold to hold builders stuff, but with some holes drilled in the
bottom make excellent heavy duty pots (about 60 litres) for only £5.99.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 09-04-2003, 10:56 PM
david

Best Rhubarb I ever had was growing in a North west facing corner where I
tipped all the grass clippings, and where it got flooded every time we
emptied the bath.
Rhubarb is better in a damp spot than in a sunny, dry place,

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 10-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Drakanthus

Best Rhubarb I ever had was growing in a North west facing corner where I
tipped all the grass clippings, and where it got flooded every time we
emptied the bath.
Rhubarb is better in a damp spot than in a sunny, dry place,

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Just as well it is in a tub this time! It looks like the rhubarb will be packing
its suitcase and heading to a North West corner - and it will be watered even
more!
I suppose it makes sense about preferring the damp - its majestic cousin the
Gunnera is grown as a marginal around ponds.