Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Compo in Caithness Compo in Caithness is offline

Default not a clue please help

On Sep 10, 8:44*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

\SNIP\
It's Datura stramonium aka Thornapple But the scent of the flowers is sublime, and the bees love them.

\SNIP\

I brought home some Thorn Apple seeds from Portugal many years ago.
They have continually self seeded and grow outdoors, albeit poorly,
even here in Caithness. I always have one or two in the polytunnel.
When grown to their full height and spread they are about 1½m tall and
1 ½, across. The tubelike purple flowers smell something like Parma
Violet sweets - anyone remember them? I trim the bushes to a
manageable height but take them out before the seed falls. The plant
grows so quickly that you can almost hear them crackle as they grow.
Cheers,
Compo.