Old 10-09-2008, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default not a clue please help

On 10/9/08 19:17, in article ,
"fatcontro11er" wrote:

i have a poly tunnel which has been great this year(first year)i have
used mostly home compost and a few seeds from kitchen waste have
germinated ,toms,peppers etc,but, the pics in the links below will show
a plant that has grown and i havent a clue what it is ? can anyone help
identify it ?
thanks
stuart
http://tinyurl.com/68stus
http://tinyurl.com/5roysc

It's Datura stramonium aka Thornapple which grows in the wild and seems to
be cropping up more and more often on urg, perhaps as winters are milder.
It often comes from birdseed, apparently but is poisonous to humans and
other animals though apparently, in Japan it has been found useful in the
treatment of brain tumours. Don't allow it to seed.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Registered User

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/p...908_122702.jpg
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/p...90908_1227.jpg
Old 10-09-2008, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

It's Datura stramonium aka Thornapple which grows in the wild and seems to
be cropping up more and more often on urg, perhaps as winters are milder.
It often comes from birdseed, apparently but is poisonous to humans and
other animals though apparently, in Japan it has been found useful in the
treatment of brain tumours. Don't allow it to seed.

But the scent of the flowers is sublime, and the bees love them.

I came across lots of plants on farmland locally last year, and I've
collected some seeds...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-09-2008, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:
| The message
| from Sacha contains these words:
|
| It's Datura stramonium aka Thornapple which grows in the wild and seems to
| be cropping up more and more often on urg, perhaps as winters are milder.
| It often comes from birdseed, apparently but is poisonous to humans and
| other animals though apparently, in Japan it has been found useful in the
| treatment of brain tumours. Don't allow it to seed.
|
| But the scent of the flowers is sublime, and the bees love them.
|
| I came across lots of plants on farmland locally last year, and I've
| collected some seeds...

I recommend not being too Californian with them :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 8:44*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

\SNIP\
It's Datura stramonium aka Thornapple But the scent of the flowers is sublime, and the bees love them.

\SNIP\

I brought home some Thorn Apple seeds from Portugal many years ago.
They have continually self seeded and grow outdoors, albeit poorly,
even here in Caithness. I always have one or two in the polytunnel.
When grown to their full height and spread they are about 1½m tall and
1 ½, across. The tubelike purple flowers smell something like Parma
Violet sweets - anyone remember them? I trim the bushes to a
manageable height but take them out before the seed falls. The plant
grows so quickly that you can almost hear them crackle as they grow.
Cheers,
Compo.

Help. I haven't got a clue!! jackrmee Lawns 6 04-07-2011 10:41 AM
Not a clue!!! Pond Virgin Ponds 8 27-07-2005 02:59 AM
New Gardener, not got a clue !!! KEVIN MORRISSEY United Kingdom 24 17-03-2004 04:46 AM
des-weges is in need of a clue des-weges Gardening 8 06-07-2003 01:08 PM
Help with crossword clue John Sullivan United Kingdom 4 06-02-2003 07:57 AM