Old 14-09-2008, 07:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Artful Dodger Artful Dodger is offline

Default Asiatic Lily

On Sep 13, 6:35 pm, (paghat) wrote:
In article
,

Artful Dodger wrote:

OK, I finally located the plant tag that I referred to above.
It reads: "An elegant low-season display of showy blooms.
deal choice for beds, borders and cutting gardens."

I planted it in Spring, So. Calif Coastal, in good soil, with TLC.
So it should have bloomed for momths. But, as mentioned above,
after the first blooms fell off, no more blooms, no more growth.

Rather few Lilium true lilies rebloom. Most bloom only once either in
spring or for some big varieties in late summer. Those which bloom
earliest sometimes rebloom less impressively late summer/early autumn, and
a few cultivars have enhanced this never completely certain possibility,
but the majority of liliums are not expected to bloom more than once.

Typo in my msg: Tag should have read "An elegant LONG season
display..." etc.

OK, I guess they lied.

My first experience with lilium, so I won't waste any more worry on
it.

Tx, paghat!

-paghat the ratgirl

Still puzzled why.

I have transplanted it, and now see that it is yellowing,
apparently in season. I will cut it down when it's ready,
and hope for some action next year.

--
visit my temperate gardening website:http://www.paghat.com
visit my film reviews website:http://www.weirdwildrealm.com