Old 14-09-2008, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
eric eric is offline

Default privet hedge

eric wrote:
I have been told that I must pick up all clippings from a privet hedge
if they fall in a flower border, on the grounds that the cutting inhibit
growth of other plants. I suspect this is an old wife's tale. Is there
any substance to it?

Thanks to all who replied.
I think now that the notion is not so much an old wife's tale as a
reasonable but wrong attempt to explain some common observations: a)
nothing grows under a privet hedge (because it is too dry and in
shadow); and b) when you look under a privet hedge you see lots of old
cuttings and leaves (because privet doesn't rot down quickly).
So the leaves must cause the lack of anything growing .. (NOT)
I'll act accordingly.
Thanks again.