Old 14-09-2008, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default privet hedge

In article ,
eric writes:

| I think now that the notion is not so much an old wife's tale as a
| reasonable but wrong attempt to explain some common observations: a)
| nothing grows under a privet hedge (because it is too dry and in
| shadow); and b) when you look under a privet hedge you see lots of old
| cuttings and leaves (because privet doesn't rot down quickly).

Yes, with one correction. Privet rots down as fast as most things,
but twigs and leaves don't rot down when they remain dry!

You will see exactly the same effect with most thick evergreens,
including most conifers, laurel, rhododendrons and so on. The effect
shows even with Cotoneaster and Cistus! Privet is in not exceptional.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.