Old 15-09-2008, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John T[_2_] John T[_2_] is offline

Default Growing your own veg etc

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
Next year I might have a dabble at growing some of my own produce,
veg/herbs etc.

I have a potentially stupid question, do you need to keep buying seeds or
once its kicked off can you keep going?
Ie, will a potato grow into a plant, can tomato pips be planted?

Ta.

Potatoes no but tomato seeds we have a superb plant this year and have
kept seed to 'try' them again

In the days before i knew anything about F1 Hybrid seeds...
.... I once grew some peppers from seeds "salvaged" from a greengrocers
pepper, they were lovely, but the second year crop was a disaster!

This might hve been more to do with local conditions. I didnt even have a
greenhouse in those days, but the significance to me is that it worked first
time.

John