Old 16-09-2008, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Extirpate Wisteria

Artful Dodger wrote:
I'm told it's hopeless, but maybe some genius here has a solution.

I had a pair of Hibiscus vines taken out several months ago,
supposedly the whole root.

Hah, and yet again, hah! It's coming up all over the place. I am
willing to do almost anything to get rid of the root system. The area
involved is not near anything else that would be harmed. Gardener
says not even Roundup will do the trick.

Is there ANY way to get rid of it?

TIA

http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/25496 has some ideas.

But if you absolutely refuse to use herbicides then manually cutting off
shoots as soon as they appear over a long enough period will eventually
control the vines -- no plant can store infinite resources. After seven
years I have an occasional survivor pop through the soil but I just mow it
and don't obsess.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]