Old 18-09-2008, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
~misfit~ ~misfit~ is offline

Default Ideas for a gift of seeds wanted

Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Stewart Robert Hinsley" typed:
In message , Kate
Morgan writes
An English friend who has lived in New Zealand ( south Island ) many
many years has just been to visit. He grows nothing but veg
but is thinking that he needs to grow some flowers to attract flying
creatures into his poly tunnels, there seems to be a
shortage of bees butterfly's etc..over there too,
I thought that I could send him some seed but need advice as to the
best seeds to send.

You want to check New Zealand's phytosanitary regulations. They're
probably not as draconian as Australia's, but I suspect that they're
fairly rigorous.

I'm in New Zealand waves and the biosecurity is *very* strict.
There are extremely harsh penalties handed out for anyone attempting
to import seeds or plant material illegally. If I were you Kate I'd
make free with suggestions rather than actual seeds. Or, you could
buy some from he
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living...0375-2359-.htm

and have them delivered to his address. I've bought quite a few seeds
from there myself.

I've just realised that it's probably a pain to register etc. Sooooo...

If there's a couple varieties listed on Trademe of seeds you'd like to send
him and they don't cost and arm and a leg I'll buy them for you and have
them delivered to his address. (We can say they're from you... which they
will be, just via me. :-])

Maybe someone here could browse what's available there and advise you?

Cheers,
--
Shaun.