Old 17-09-2008, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ideas for a gift of seeds wanted

An English friend who has lived in New Zealand ( south Island ) many many
years has just been to visit. He grows nothing but veg but is thinking that
he needs to grow some flowers to attract flying creatures into his poly
tunnels, there seems to be a shortage of bees butterfly's etc..over there
too,
I thought that I could send him some seed but need advice as to the best
seeds to send.

kate

Old 17-09-2008, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
et...
An English friend who has lived in New Zealand ( south Island ) many many
years has just been to visit. He grows nothing but veg but is thinking
that he needs to grow some flowers to attract flying creatures into his
poly tunnels, there seems to be a shortage of bees butterfly's etc..over
there too,
I thought that I could send him some seed but need advice as to the best
seeds to send.

kate

That surprises me, New Zealand has a huge number of beekeepers (and thus
bees) per capita.

Butterflies don't pollinate vegetables as far as I know - but I could be
wrong!

Mary

Old 17-09-2008, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Kate
Morgan writes
An English friend who has lived in New Zealand ( south Island ) many
many years has just been to visit. He grows nothing but veg but is
thinking that he needs to grow some flowers to attract flying
creatures into his poly tunnels, there seems to be a shortage of bees
butterfly's etc..over there too,
I thought that I could send him some seed but need advice as to the
best seeds to send.

kate

You want to check New Zealand's phytosanitary regulations. They're
probably not as draconian as Australia's, but I suspect that they're
fairly rigorous.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 18-09-2008, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Stewart Robert Hinsley" typed:
In message , Kate
Morgan writes
An English friend who has lived in New Zealand ( south Island ) many
many years has just been to visit. He grows nothing but veg but is
thinking that he needs to grow some flowers to attract flying
creatures into his poly tunnels, there seems to be a shortage of bees
butterfly's etc..over there too,
I thought that I could send him some seed but need advice as to the
best seeds to send.

You want to check New Zealand's phytosanitary regulations. They're
probably not as draconian as Australia's, but I suspect that they're
fairly rigorous.

I'm in New Zealand waves and the biosecurity is *very* strict. There are
extremely harsh penalties handed out for anyone attempting to import seeds
or plant material illegally. If I were you Kate I'd make free with
suggestions rather than actual seeds. Or, you could buy some from he

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living...0375-2359-.htm

and have them delivered to his address. I've bought quite a few seeds from
there myself.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old 18-09-2008, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
[...]

I've just realised that it's probably a pain to register etc. Sooooo...

If there's a couple varieties listed on Trademe of seeds you'd like to send
him and they don't cost and arm and a leg I'll buy them for you and have
them delivered to his address. (We can say they're from you... which they
will be, just via me. :-])

Maybe someone here could browse what's available there and advise you?

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old 18-09-2008, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

hello Shaun - waves back - that is very kind of you. I will certainly do
some thinking about what to send him and contact you as and when :-)

kate

Old 18-09-2008, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Kate Morgan" typed:
[...]

:-)

Hello Kate.

You're welcome. I can be reached on misfitnz at gmail dot com (mention URG
in the subject please and ping me here, stuff gets put in the spam folder
now and then...) if you see some seeds that you'd like sent to him. Just
give me the auction numbers and his address and (as long as it doesn't break
the bank) consider it done.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old 19-09-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"~misfit~" wrote in message
[...]

Some years ago now I sent some nigella seeds to my friend in Australia, as a
friendly gesture so she could have love-in-a-mist in her garden.
She blasted me about how it was not allowed. I had no idea it wasn't. She
never planted them.
What would be the possibility of these seeds I sent being a danger in
Australia? What the **** would happen? It's an annual. It's not
likely to threaten Australia, is it?

Old 20-09-2008, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Christina Websell" typed:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
[...]

Probably not, no. (Being an annual down't make much difference though. Some
plants are annuals in certian climates and perrenial in other climates.)

Then again, some species of plant in new environments can go crazy and
out-compete native plants. There are a lot of landowners here who spend a
lot of money trying to keep gorse, ragwort, thistle etc. under control. Even
buddleia is a noxious plant here as it grows like crazy.

I guess the folks at border control would just like a bit of a say in what
gets into the country. It's hard to undo mistakes, easier to ensure that no
more happen.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old 25-09-2008, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Kate Morgan" contains these words:

An English friend who has lived in New Zealand ( south Island ) many many
years has just been to visit. He grows nothing but veg but is thinking that
he needs to grow some flowers to attract flying creatures into his poly
tunnels, there seems to be a shortage of bees butterfly's etc..over there
too,
I thought that I could send him some seed but need advice as to the best
seeds to send.

Flowering currants start early. Bees like beans of all the sorts I've
observed. The fodder beans grown for cattle have a tremendous scent, and
you can sometimes smell a field of them from a mile. I would *GUESS*
that broad beans were similar, being very closely related.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 25-09-2008, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

Some years ago now I sent some nigella seeds to my friend in
Australia, as a
friendly gesture so she could have love-in-a-mist in her garden.
She blasted me about how it was not allowed. I had no idea it wasn't. She
never planted them.
What would be the possibility of these seeds I sent being a danger in
Australia? What the **** would happen? It's an annual. It's not
likely to threaten Australia, is it?

Diseases might be introduced. Read up on cane toads and rabbits. They're
not plants, true, but were introduced with the best intentions...

Look at Japanese knotweed here, and Oxford ragwort...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 25-09-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:
| The message
| from "Christina Websell" contains
| these words:
|
| Some years ago now I sent some nigella seeds to my friend in
| Australia, as a
| friendly gesture so she could have love-in-a-mist in her garden.
| She blasted me about how it was not allowed. I had no idea it wasn't. She
| never planted them.
| What would be the possibility of these seeds I sent being a danger in
| Australia? What the **** would happen? It's an annual. It's not
| likely to threaten Australia, is it?
|
| Diseases might be introduced. Read up on cane toads and rabbits. They're
| not plants, true, but were introduced with the best intentions...

Also annuals can cause ecological harm, just as much as perennials,
especially in arid ecologies. And Australia is well-known for those!

| Look at Japanese knotweed here, and Oxford ragwort...

There isn't a serious problem with Oxford ragwort in the UK, despite
the nonsense talked about it. It causes trouble only in mismanaged
pasture, even to notoriously dim and delicate horses. One of the most
common forms of that is, of course, having paddocks dedicated to horses
without managing the pasture by frequent mowing or otherwise.

But the UK has a MUCH more resilient ecology than Australia, because
almost all of its flora and fauna are recent.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Morgan View Post
An English friend who has lived in New Zealand ( south Island ) many many
years has just been to visit. He grows nothing but veg but is thinking that
he needs to grow some flowers to attract flying creatures into his poly
tunnels, there seems to be a shortage of bees butterfly's etc..over there
too,
I thought that I could send him some seed but need advice as to the best
seeds to send.

kate
Nasturtiums are really easy to grow, and the bees and hoverflies seem to love them.
Sweetpeas are nice in a sunny site.

Christmas Gift Ideas Melissa Digital Gardening 0 01-12-2009 11:26 AM
Holiday gift ideas for gardeners and landscape lovers (LandSteward Article) Earl Gardening 0 02-12-2004 05:23 PM
recommendation wanted for a blue perennial to give as a gift - color_me_ Gardening 13 30-05-2004 10:05 PM
Gift ideas for her.... Defender Bamboo 0 19-05-2004 05:08 PM
Some gift ideas for her Defender Gardening 0 13-05-2004 08:04 PM