Old 18-09-2008, 07:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir[_3_] Wolf Kirchmeir[_3_] is offline

Default ditch problem

Bob wrote:
I have this ditch between my two lots I was wondering if anyone has any good
ideas about what to do with it. it is dry except when it rains and then it
moves kind of fast.
Thanks Bob

Try weirs: dam it up at different levels. That would slow down the flow
of water. You may need to add a spillway down one side (this can be
covered) to take the excess water from the rain, depends on how heavy
the rains are. Generally speaking, you want rain to flush the ponds (but
gently, hence the dams/weirs. You'll probably need aprons below the dams
to prevent scouring and undercutting.

Make a water garden, devise waterfalls, etc. You may need to dig out
some of the dirt, and place a layer of clay (or even a plastic/rubber
membrane) to prevent the water from seeping into the ground between
rainfalls. If you don't get enough rain to maintain the water levels,
you might want to use a pump to move water back uphill. Or use a rain
barrel or two to store water for topping up the water garden.

IOW, think of it as a feature. ;-)

HTH

--
Wolf Kirchmeir