Old 17-09-2008, 06:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

Default ditch problem

I have this ditch between my two lots I was wondering if anyone has any good
ideas about what to do with it. it is dry except when it rains and then it
moves kind of fast.
Thanks Bob

Attached Thumbnails
ditch problem-ditch.jpg
Old 18-09-2008, 12:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
I have this ditch between my two lots I was wondering if anyone has any
good ideas about what to do with it. it is dry except when it rains and
then it moves kind of fast.
Thanks Bob

What's your problem with it?

Mary

Old 18-09-2008, 05:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob" wrote
I have this ditch between my two lots I was wondering if anyone has any
good ideas about what to do with it. it is dry except when it rains and
then it moves kind of fast.

Presumably you are in the US, about where and do you get frost?
When you say dry, is it bone dry or just a little trickle in the bottom as
shown in the pic.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-09-2008, 07:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob wrote:
I have this ditch between my two lots I was wondering if anyone has any good
ideas about what to do with it. it is dry except when it rains and then it
moves kind of fast.
Thanks Bob

Try weirs: dam it up at different levels. That would slow down the flow
of water. You may need to add a spillway down one side (this can be
covered) to take the excess water from the rain, depends on how heavy
the rains are. Generally speaking, you want rain to flush the ponds (but
gently, hence the dams/weirs. You'll probably need aprons below the dams
to prevent scouring and undercutting.

Make a water garden, devise waterfalls, etc. You may need to dig out
some of the dirt, and place a layer of clay (or even a plastic/rubber
membrane) to prevent the water from seeping into the ground between
rainfalls. If you don't get enough rain to maintain the water levels,
you might want to use a pump to move water back uphill. Or use a rain
barrel or two to store water for topping up the water garden.

IOW, think of it as a feature. ;-)

HTH

--
Wolf Kirchmeir
Old 19-09-2008, 12:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

Sorry about that, Im in zone 7 Arkansas. It keeps just a very little water
year around, I think there is a spring underground ever place I dig, about 2
feet down I get water in the hole. Im also on the low end of town so when it
rains it will be full of water, and moving very fast. The water in the
pictures is from Ike that moved through about week ago. In a few days there
will be less water. I like to plant something in there but not sure what. I
talked with the rock place here and they said I was looking at about 3,000
dollars to put big enough rock that wont wash away. Little more than I have
plus I cant dam it because the city wont let me.

Old 19-09-2008, 03:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob wrote:
Sorry about that, Im in zone 7 Arkansas. It keeps just a very little water
year around, I think there is a spring underground ever place I dig, about 2
feet down I get water in the hole. Im also on the low end of town so when it
rains it will be full of water, and moving very fast. The water in the
pictures is from Ike that moved through about week ago. In a few days there
will be less water. I like to plant something in there but not sure what. I
talked with the rock place here and they said I was looking at about 3,000
dollars to put big enough rock that wont wash away. Little more than I have
plus I cant dam it because the city wont let me.

I think you'll have to go take a look at what grows in the creeks and
rivers that are like your ditch: dry most of the time, with occasional
"flash floods." What grows in nature will grow in a garden.

OTOH, it _may_ be possible to seed a tough grass there, one that even
fast flowing water won't wash away.

Good luck!

--
Wolf Kirchmeir
Old 19-09-2008, 03:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob wrote:
I have this ditch between my two lots I was wondering if anyone has
any good ideas about what to do with it. it is dry except when it
rains and then it moves kind of fast.
Thanks Bob

I've love to have something like that to play with. I'd line it with
pebbles/stones, a few old logs and plant it out with ferns and other plants
that like a lot of moisture (some ornamental gingers, monstera,
alocasia/colocasia and turn it into a mini rain forest...then again your
climate may not be suitable for that.

Old 19-09-2008, 10:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Maroochy" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message
Bob wrote:
I have this ditch between my two lots I was wondering if anyone has
any good ideas about what to do with it. it is dry except when it
rains and then it moves kind of fast.
Thanks Bob

I've love to have something like that to play with.

Same here!

It looks about the size of my garden :-)

Mary

Old 19-09-2008, 05:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote after ...
Barbara wrote after Bob asked
I have this ditch between my two lots I was wondering if anyone has
any good ideas about what to do with it. it is dry except when it
rains and then it moves kind of fast.
Thanks Bob

I've love to have something like that to play with.

Same here!

It looks about the size of my garden :-)

I think the problem for Bob is that when it rains it torrents down that
creek and would scour out most things planted in there. Certainly it would
be worth taking a look at what nature plants in similar local creeks.

Bob. it's a shame you can't put a few little dams in it to make some
permanent pools but if the authorities say no then they must have a reason.
Could you perhaps dig it out some more in places to make those permanent
pools? Would the authorities allow you to do that?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-09-2008, 09:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
I have this ditch between my two lots I was wondering if anyone has any
good ideas about what to do with it. it is dry except when it rains and
then it moves kind of fast.
Thanks Bob

You lucky bugger, I wish I had a ditch like that. Yes, seriously.

s.