Old 21-09-2008, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Mycosimian Mycosimian is offline

Default 2012 Gardens

It's heartbreaking when things like that happen, but it also means you get
to start again and redesign your garden to be more productive. *I guess you
have to think in a permaculture way when these things happen and turn
problems into solutions.

Andi

Originally, I had envisioned a drip irrigation system made of dried
out gourds and native bamboo, held together with some vines and sealed
with a mud and clay mixture, like something out of Swiss Family
Robinson (its been a long time since I read that book), but that just
doesn't seem feasible. I haven't really researched it yet.

I really do hope society continues to function, as much as it can be
said to function, for quite some time because my experiments in
gardening are showing me how truly dependent I am on these crazy
people all around me. I think I should be studying some basic survival
skills, such as, how to identify edible native plants and how to
capture small animals with sticks and vines. That way I might have
some chance of surviving until I managed to get some crops harvested.
Of course, this raises all kinds of questions like, where would I get
seed in the first place, how would I keep roving bands of barbarians
from raiding my stores, and other such things. Seems that it might be
easier to help society come together and solve some of its
dysfunctions before everything comes crashing down. Truly, it is all
out of my hands and all of this is just some kind of crazy thought
experiment. I just have to keep praying that that Unknowable Essence
has great plans for us and wouldn't let anything too terrible happen,
of course, that may be just what we need. We won't know until it
happens and, even then, we won't likely know what is right in front of
us.

I'm not so much heartbroken over my garden. The dirt is still there
under all of that tree and I get more enjoyment from the work than the
results. I have really gained much in the grand scheme of things. Now
I am just looking for a good wood chipper.