Old 24-09-2008, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Andrea McGrath[_2_] Andrea McGrath[_2_] is offline

Default Tomato Variety Q

"gunner" wrote in message
access...

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
gunner said:

Just a thought, but I wonder if the 'eterne' is somehow a confusion of
'indeterminate.' An old Italian vining type rather than one of the more
modern determinate tomatoes usually grown for cooking.

That was one my first thoughts but didn't get very far with any specific
name using that angle. From the limited description sounds like a Roma or
some such Plum varietial , maybe a Campari. Andi are you in AU/NZ?

Hi Gunner,
Yes, I'm in Australia, but the show I was watching was Rick Stein (English)
and he was in Puglia, Italy. On reflection I'm starting to wonder if the
'eterne' wasn't a reference to how the tomatoes were stored... but I don't
know. They were a little bigger than golf balls, round so not a plum
variety.
Thanks for giving this some thought. I live in a sub tropical area and we
can grow cherry tomatoes year round, but I've had no luck with bigger
varieties, so I thought these might be perfect for where I live.
Andi