Old 24-09-2008, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Andrea McGrath[_2_] Andrea McGrath[_2_] is offline

Default Tomato Variety Q

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
gunner said:

"Andrea McGrath" wrote in message
.au...

snip for brevity

Just a thought, but I wonder if the 'eterne' is somehow a confusion of
'indeterminate.' An old Italian vining type rather than one of the more
modern determinate tomatoes usually grown for cooking.

The one other thing 'eternal tomato' brings to my mind is is the tropical
perennial 'tree tomato.'

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/m...ee_tomato.html

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Hi Pat,
They weren't tree tomatoes, the name 'eterne' was explained as
'everlasting'. It's possible it was just a regional name or it could well
be that it was the way they were stored.
Thanks,
Andi.