Old 24-09-2008, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Mulching confusion

"Mi
Mulch and trees:

Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
and
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
Watch out for so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology.
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, tornado's, volcanic eruptions and other
abiotic forces keep reminding humans that they are not the boss.

tulove" wrote in message

Hello,
I've lived in Scotland for four years, but this is my first autumn
having a garden. I'm having some trouble finding answers to some of my
questions with google.

The first has to do with mulching. I've got a big bag of Strulch to
use. What I don't know is when to put it down. I've put in lots of
bulbs and a couple raspberry canes, and there are already lots of
established shrubs. From what I can glean from the internet, the time
to mulch bulbs is in the fall. Some sites say to leave it until just
before freezing temperatures. I live in inland Fife, and I have no
idea when to expect a hard freeze.

I'm also unsure how deep to mulch. Will mulching deeply affect how
well the birds can find food in the ground?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer

--
Mitulove