Old 23-09-2008, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mulching confusion

Mitulove wrote:

I'm having some trouble finding answers to some of my
questions with google.

I've got a big bag of Strulch.
What I don't know is when to put it down. �

What pray tell is "Strulch"?

Aha... straw + mulch = Strulch

http://www.strulch.co.uk

Seems it's used same as any other mulch.

Old 23-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Mitulove's Avatar
Registered User

Hello,
I've lived in Scotland for four years, but this is my first autumn having a garden. I'm having some trouble finding answers to some of my questions with google.

The first has to do with mulching. I've got a big bag of Strulch to use. What I don't know is when to put it down. I've put in lots of bulbs and a couple raspberry canes, and there are already lots of established shrubs. From what I can glean from the internet, the time to mulch bulbs is in the fall. Some sites say to leave it until just before freezing temperatures. I live in inland Fife, and I have no idea when to expect a hard freeze.

I'm also unsure how deep to mulch. Will mulching deeply affect how well the birds can find food in the ground?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer
Old 23-09-2008, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:55:57 +0100, Mitulove
wrote:

Hello,
I've lived in Scotland for four years, but this is my first autumn
having a garden. I'm having some trouble finding answers to some of my
questions with google.

The first has to do with mulching. I've got a big bag of Strulch to
use. What I don't know is when to put it down. I've put in lots of
bulbs and a couple raspberry canes, and there are already lots of
established shrubs. From what I can glean from the internet, the time
to mulch bulbs is in the fall. Some sites say to leave it until just
before freezing temperatures. I live in inland Fife, and I have no
idea when to expect a hard freeze.

I'm also unsure how deep to mulch. Will mulching deeply affect how
well the birds can find food in the ground?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer

For many plants mulch at any time, but there are exceptions. I have
roses which I mulch heavily in late November with shredded leaves and
remove the mulch in early February (we have a short winter) to expose
the crown. The first freeze in your area won't freeze the ground, but
you can use the "first frost date" for your area to mulch plants
needing winter protection. I use 1 to 4 inches of mulch, depending on
the plant and specific location. It is not a good idea to mulch
against tree trunks, yet I see this done in many places by
"landscapers." Mulch will limit what the birds can find, but I've
seen them digging through the mulch and under leaves too.
Old 24-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitulove View Post
Hello,
I've lived in Scotland for four years, but this is my first autumn having a garden. I'm having some trouble finding answers to some of my questions with google.

The first has to do with mulching. I've got a big bag of Strulch to use. What I don't know is when to put it down. I've put in lots of bulbs and a couple raspberry canes, and there are already lots of established shrubs. From what I can glean from the internet, the time to mulch bulbs is in the fall. Some sites say to leave it until just before freezing temperatures. I live in inland Fife, and I have no idea when to expect a hard freeze.

I'm also unsure how deep to mulch. Will mulching deeply affect how well the birds can find food in the ground?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer
I've never heard of "Scrulch" but mulches are best applied about now. I have ancient ancestors from Fife! As to depth, several centimetres is best, but be careful not to pile it up round the stems of shrubs (they could rot). The best mulch is home-made garden compost, so, if you haven't already, get some compost bins going immediately.
Old 24-09-2008, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Mi
Mulch and trees:

Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
and
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
Watch out for so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology.
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, tornado's, volcanic eruptions and other
abiotic forces keep reminding humans that they are not the boss.

--
Mitulove