Old 26-09-2008, 05:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Zoot Zoot is offline

Default Morning Glory - DSC00366-Edit.jpg

Is it the cultivated variety aka morning glory with bigger flowers, or
the smaller flowering relative aka bindweed? Here in Oregon, "bindweed"
is a noxious weed, where "morning glory" doesn't cause a lot of problems
and can be a tad difficult to grow. Bindweed, OTOH, is everywhere..

Same here. Bindweed is a pest - but it's very beautiful, I think.

I seem to be in the mninority though :-)

Lesser bindweed is even prettier, with its delicate pink flowers.

Mary

We have it here also - I rather like bindweed, it blooms in the
daytime/afternoon, and is quite pretty. I like the cultivated morning glory
plant, but that does not grow as well here, I don't think it likes the cold
wet climate. Bindweed seems to grow better, but it also doesn't seem to like
the climate that much as it isn't a pest. We have long wet winters and
springs, and then in June it stops raining for about three months. Plants
that can't live that long without water usually don't do well unless they
can produce seeds before they die.

We have Queen Annes Lace here, it is considered a noxious weed. I rather
like the flowers as they are quite pretty. This is a single plant that grew
next to my pump year before last. If you give them enough water, they will
get quite large. This one eventually reached about five feet tall and five
feet diameter - big sprawling plant. They tend to clog up ditches because
they get so big - like miniature tumbleweeds - which is why I think they are
classified as a noxious weed. If they don't get water, then they stay very
small, and just put up a few flower stalks that go up 2-3 feet.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006/...s/DSCF3891.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006/...s/DSCF3889.JPG