Old 25-09-2008, 05:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Morning Glory - DSC00366-Edit.jpg

Another quicky from the pocket camera. I carry this thing around with
me all the time, but I don't actually use it as much as I should. I
have to try to be better with that.

JD
Sony DSC T-100 Pocket-camera
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

Attached Thumbnails
Morning Glory - DSC00366-Edit.jpg-dsc00366-edit.jpg
Old 25-09-2008, 07:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

John - Pa. wrote in message
Another quicky from the pocket camera. I carry this thing around with
me all the time, but I don't actually use it as much as I should. I
have to try to be better with that.

I'm green with envy - I could never grow morning glory :-(

Mary

Old 25-09-2008, 11:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

John - Pa. wrote in message
Another quicky from the pocket camera. I carry this thing around with
me all the time, but I don't actually use it as much as I should. I
have to try to be better with that.

I'm green with envy - I could never grow morning glory :-(

Mary

Be even greener. It's a weed in my yard, trying to suffocate
my rose bush! I can't get rid of it!

--
8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~
Old 25-09-2008, 11:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Suzie-Q wrote:

Be even greener. It's a weed in my yard, trying to suffocate
my rose bush! I can't get rid of it!

Yes, it's an invasive pest in some climates, it's declared weed in our
state. Acres and acres of native bushland have been taken over and the
wildlife has been displaced by morning glory. I'll grant, it's a pretty
flower, but I loathe it for the damage it has done.

Old 26-09-2008, 12:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Maroochy" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message
Suzie-Q wrote:

Be even greener. It's a weed in my yard, trying to suffocate
my rose bush! I can't get rid of it!

Yes, it's an invasive pest in some climates, it's declared weed in our
state. Acres and acres of native bushland have been taken over and the
wildlife has been displaced by morning glory. I'll grant, it's a pretty
flower, but I loathe it for the damage it has done.

Is it the cultivated variety aka morning glory with bigger flowers, or the
smaller flowering relative aka bindweed? Here in Oregon, "bindweed" is a
noxious weed, where "morning glory" doesn't cause a lot of problems and can
be a tad difficult to grow. Bindweed, OTOH, is everywhere..

Old 26-09-2008, 01:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Zoot wrote:
Is it the cultivated variety aka morning glory with bigger flowers,
or the smaller flowering relative aka bindweed? Here in Oregon,
"bindweed" is a noxious weed, where "morning glory" doesn't cause a
lot of problems and can be a tad difficult to grow. Bindweed, OTOH,
is everywhere..

The cultivated one, I live in Australia.

Old 26-09-2008, 10:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Suzie-Q wrote:

Be even greener. It's a weed in my yard, trying to suffocate
my rose bush! I can't get rid of it!

Yes, it's an invasive pest in some climates, it's declared weed in our
state. Acres and acres of native bushland have been taken over and the
wildlife has been displaced by morning glory. I'll grant, it's a pretty
flower, but I loathe it for the damage it has done.

Is it the cultivated variety aka morning glory with bigger flowers, or the
smaller flowering relative aka bindweed? Here in Oregon, "bindweed" is a
noxious weed, where "morning glory" doesn't cause a lot of problems and
can be a tad difficult to grow. Bindweed, OTOH, is everywhere..

Same here. Bindweed is a pest - but it's very beautiful, I think.

I seem to be in the mninority though :-)

Lesser bindweed is even prettier, with its delicate pink flowers.

Mary

Old 26-09-2008, 05:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Is it the cultivated variety aka morning glory with bigger flowers, or
the smaller flowering relative aka bindweed? Here in Oregon, "bindweed"
is a noxious weed, where "morning glory" doesn't cause a lot of problems
and can be a tad difficult to grow. Bindweed, OTOH, is everywhere..

Same here. Bindweed is a pest - but it's very beautiful, I think.

I seem to be in the mninority though :-)

Lesser bindweed is even prettier, with its delicate pink flowers.

Mary

We have it here also - I rather like bindweed, it blooms in the
daytime/afternoon, and is quite pretty. I like the cultivated morning glory
plant, but that does not grow as well here, I don't think it likes the cold
wet climate. Bindweed seems to grow better, but it also doesn't seem to like
the climate that much as it isn't a pest. We have long wet winters and
springs, and then in June it stops raining for about three months. Plants
that can't live that long without water usually don't do well unless they
can produce seeds before they die.

We have Queen Annes Lace here, it is considered a noxious weed. I rather
like the flowers as they are quite pretty. This is a single plant that grew
next to my pump year before last. If you give them enough water, they will
get quite large. This one eventually reached about five feet tall and five
feet diameter - big sprawling plant. They tend to clog up ditches because
they get so big - like miniature tumbleweeds - which is why I think they are
classified as a noxious weed. If they don't get water, then they stay very
small, and just put up a few flower stalks that go up 2-3 feet.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006/...s/DSCF3891.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006/...s/DSCF3889.JPG

Old 27-09-2008, 09:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Zoot" wrote in message

We have Queen Annes Lace here, it is considered a noxious weed. I rather
like the flowers as they are quite pretty.

I think they're stunning, so delicate and well-named as lace.

This is a single plant that grew next to my pump year before last. If you
give them enough water, they will get quite large. This one eventually
reached about five feet tall and five feet diameter - big sprawling plant.

I don't think they're classed as noxious weeds here.

Never had one in my garden and I've tried sowing the seeds.

Mary