Old 27-09-2008, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob Gillespie[_2_] Bob Gillespie[_2_] is offline

Default Watermelon?

Hi,
Live in northeast Florida and basically have sand for my soil. Put down
several bags of compost to form a hill, planted watermelon seed, and
expected with fertilizer to reap a bountiful harvest. Getting a few
watermelons but some of them seem to develop rot from laying on the sand and
the scrap grass. Should I have put down some weed inhibiting layer before
the watermelons started to grow and keep them on the material after they
sprouted?
Bob