Old 27-09-2008, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Watermelon?

Hi,
Live in northeast Florida and basically have sand for my soil. Put down
several bags of compost to form a hill, planted watermelon seed, and
expected with fertilizer to reap a bountiful harvest. Getting a few
watermelons but some of them seem to develop rot from laying on the sand and
the scrap grass. Should I have put down some weed inhibiting layer before
the watermelons started to grow and keep them on the material after they
sprouted?
Bob

Old 28-09-2008, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bob Gillespie said:

Hi,
Live in northeast Florida and basically have sand for my soil. Put down
several bags of compost to form a hill, planted watermelon seed, and
expected with fertilizer to reap a bountiful harvest. Getting a few
watermelons but some of them seem to develop rot from laying on the
sand and
the scrap grass. Should I have put down some weed inhibiting layer
before
the watermelons started to grow and keep them on the material after they
sprouted?

Probably you should have mulched and weeded. You might also consider
slipping something under the watermelons when they first form. I used to
use a floor tile. Anything that will prevent ground contact and let the area
under the fruit drain would work.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Armidale, northern tablelands, new south wales , Australia

Bob Gillespie[_2_];817350']Hi,
Live in northeast Florida and basically have sand for my soil. Put down
several bags of compost to form a hill, planted watermelon seed, and
expected with fertilizer to reap a bountiful harvest. Getting a few
watermelons but some of them seem to develop rot from laying on the sand and
the scrap grass. Should I have put down some weed inhibiting layer before
the watermelons started to grow and keep them on the material after they
sprouted?
Bob[/quote]

One thing I learned is that watermelons are incredibly drought tolerant. Giving them a lot of water makes them weaker. They store water 'coz they originate from a water deprived climate. Maybe they rotted because they were given a little too much love and care?.Hope this helps. ad.

QUOTE='Bob Gillespie[_2_];817350']Hi,
Live in northeast Florida and basically have sand for my soil. Put down
several bags of compost to form a hill, planted watermelon seed, and
expected with fertilizer to reap a bountiful harvest. Getting a few
watermelons but some of them seem to develop rot from laying on the sand and
the scrap grass. Should I have put down some weed inhibiting layer before
the watermelons started to grow and keep them on the material after they
sprouted?
Bob[/quote]

Seedless Watermelon pollination H Hornblower Edible Gardening 6 20-08-2004 03:45 PM
Germinating watermelon Seed Shlomit sci.agriculture 0 13-07-2003 03:44 PM
Moon Star Watermelon Lisa J Gehl Edible Gardening 4 09-07-2003 10:44 PM
watermelon? H United Kingdom 2 22-05-2003 10:20 PM
Watermelon Question CORRWOOD Edible Gardening 2 14-05-2003 02:44 AM