Old 27-09-2008, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Default Petrol lawn mower help.

The `cotter` is still intact as I took the blade off.
One thing ocurred to me..one of the retaining bolts that hold the engine in
place was loose, I wonder if the engine has been knocked out of line on its
mounts.
and thereby the crankshaft is catching the side of the hole it projects
through, doubtful but worth putting back together and trying I suppose.

--

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

"S" wrote in message
I have a Briggs & Stratton petrol lawn mower, my other half was using it
to cut the grass and caught the metal drain cover.
When I try and start it it makes a clunking sound as it rotates but will
not start.It also feels a bit `heavier` when pulling the rope to start
it.
The blades are not catching the sides so I don`t think it is that.

Could also be that the sudden stall of the engine has caused the cotter
that locates the flywheel to shear (blade and crankshaft stop suddenly,
flywheel continues to turn) this means the ignition timing is now wrong.

Mike