Old 25-09-2008, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Default Petrol lawn mower help.

I have a Briggs & Stratton petrol lawn mower, my other half was using it to
cut the grass and caught the metal drain cover.
When I try and start it it makes a clunking sound as it rotates but will not
start.It also feels a bit `heavier` when pulling the rope to start it.
The blades are not catching the sides so I don`t think it is that.

Any ideas on what to do?

thanks

Old 25-09-2008, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Thanks for reply I will check that out.
Is there any forums for how to dismantle the engines or how to repair these
things?
I have some motorbike engine experience so would just need some guidelines.

thanks

--

Rent a villa in Turkey

http://www.freewebs.com/turkeyrent/

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
I have a Briggs & Stratton petrol lawn mower, my other half was using it
cut the grass and caught the metal drain cover.
When I try and start it it makes a clunking sound as it rotates but will
not
start.It also feels a bit `heavier` when pulling the rope to start it.
The blades are not catching the sides so I don`t think it is that.

Any ideas on what to do?

thanks

It may also be worth checking the brake is not out of ajustment and is
coming off when you are trying to start it
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 26-09-2008, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S" wrote in message
I have a Briggs & Stratton petrol lawn mower, my other half was using it to
cut the grass and caught the metal drain cover.
When I try and start it it makes a clunking sound as it rotates but will
not start.It also feels a bit `heavier` when pulling the rope to start it.
The blades are not catching the sides so I don`t think it is that.

Could also be that the sudden stall of the engine has caused the cotter that
locates the flywheel to shear (blade and crankshaft stop suddenly, flywheel
continues to turn) this means the ignition timing is now wrong.

Mike

Old 27-09-2008, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

The `cotter` is still intact as I took the blade off.
One thing ocurred to me..one of the retaining bolts that hold the engine in
place was loose, I wonder if the engine has been knocked out of line on its
mounts.
and thereby the crankshaft is catching the side of the hole it projects
through, doubtful but worth putting back together and trying I suppose.

--

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

Old 27-09-2008, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S" wrote in message
news
The `cotter` is still intact as I took the blade off.

The cotter I referred to is the one that locates the flywheel on top of the
engine, not the blade.

Mike

Old 27-09-2008, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Oooops sorry, I should read whats posted :-)
I thought it was referring to the slot that locates the blade
I haven`t got to the top end yet.
As its not a big /heavy engine I will take it off and on a bench for
stripping.
Glad not many cuts left so can take my time over the next few weeks.
Still got the old electric meantime..

--

Rent a villa in Turkey

http://www.freewebs.com/turkeyrent/

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

news

Old 30-09-2008, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "pied piper" typed:
easier and probably cheaper to get another mower check ebay plenty of
good used rotarys on there

If getting another I'd strongly suggest looking at a Honda powered machine.
I've had many (petrol powered) mowers in my time, both 2-stroke and 4-stroke
and I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a brand new Honda. It's
brilliant! I wish I'd bought one long ago. It uses less petrol than any
other mower I've owned, produces plenty of power and, if you're interested
in these things, has extremely low emissions, well within California's
stringent requirements.
--
Shaun.

Old 30-09-2008, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Muddymike" typed:
"S" wrote in message
news
The `cotter` is still intact as I took the blade off.

The cotter I referred to is the one that locates the flywheel on top
of the engine, not the blade.

It's a Woodruffe Key rather than a cotter pin, and yes, I've known one to
shear when the engine stopped suddenly and the flywheel didn't. However,
more modern engines don't seem to have such heavy flywheels as the older,
slower-revving ones so not so likely IMO.

It's my opinion that there's likely something far more serious wrong with
S's mower. :-(

My educated guess? Same as Charlie's. Bent crankshaft. That's why I'll never
own a mower with a 'bar' blade again. My mower has a disc with two 'swing'
blades bolted to it. Not much to catch on anything heavy, certainly not
enough to stop the engine suddenly enough to cause damage.
--
Shaun.

Old 30-09-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

I am going to strip it down when I come back off hols (going away for 2
weeks this weekend Yipeee)
If the cost is getting near to a replacement I will have a look at
replacement options.
My lawn is not that large I only got a petrol cause of ...
1. Getting too old for a push mower, although I do prefer them but children
and small stones don`t go together, screwed the blades.
2. Allows me to cut when wet (had an electric for a bit)
In scotland most times the grass is getting cut in wet conditions.