Old 28-09-2008, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Watermelon?

Bob Gillespie said:

Hi,
Live in northeast Florida and basically have sand for my soil. Put down
several bags of compost to form a hill, planted watermelon seed, and
expected with fertilizer to reap a bountiful harvest. Getting a few
watermelons but some of them seem to develop rot from laying on the
sand and
the scrap grass. Should I have put down some weed inhibiting layer
before
the watermelons started to grow and keep them on the material after they
sprouted?

Probably you should have mulched and weeded. You might also consider
slipping something under the watermelons when they first form. I used to
use a floor tile. Anything that will prevent ground contact and let the area
under the fruit drain would work.

After enlightenment, the laundry.