Old 29-09-2008, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek[_4_] Derek[_4_] is offline

Default Out of Season

"Tim Perry" wrote in message

Can anyone offer suggestions how the out of season blooming of plants is
induced. When you see horticultural exhibitions it is pretty clear that
those exhibitors have ways to manipulate the timing to ensure that
their plants are at optimum for the show. So, what do they do ?, is it
temperature, light, chemical or what ?.

I hasten to add that I have no intention of participating in a show,
just very curious by nature.

No doubt there are various tricks specific to a given type of plant,
but there must be other methods of a more general nature.
I know that there are times when every gardener sees something coming
into bloom that should not, but how does that relate to deliberate
manipulation, can we learn anything from what seems to happen
spontaneously, or can the methods used by exhibitors help explain those
odd exceptions to routine.

Tim.

--
Tim Perry

Length of daylight is a well used method of holding back Dahlia's theres a
detailed explanation at http://www.gpnmag.com/articles/ACF7A6D.pdf
Derek