Old 28-09-2008, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cabbage White Caterpillars

............ are having a great feed on my sprout plants.

Any recommendations for getting rid of them please?
Old 28-09-2008, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

grant wrote:

Any recommendations for getting rid of them please?

Don't know brand names across the pond, but BT, Bacillus Thuregensis, works
well. Germ warfare for cabbage worms.

Old 29-09-2008, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Out of Season

"Tim Perry" wrote in message

Can anyone offer suggestions how the out of season blooming of plants is
induced. When you see horticultural exhibitions it is pretty clear that
those exhibitors have ways to manipulate the timing to ensure that
their plants are at optimum for the show. So, what do they do ?, is it
temperature, light, chemical or what ?.

I hasten to add that I have no intention of participating in a show,
just very curious by nature.

No doubt there are various tricks specific to a given type of plant,
but there must be other methods of a more general nature.
I know that there are times when every gardener sees something coming
into bloom that should not, but how does that relate to deliberate
manipulation, can we learn anything from what seems to happen
spontaneously, or can the methods used by exhibitors help explain those
odd exceptions to routine.

Tim.

--
Tim Perry

Length of daylight is a well used method of holding back Dahlia's theres a
detailed explanation at http://www.gpnmag.com/articles/ACF7A6D.pdf
Derek

Old 29-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
............ are having a great feed on my sprout plants.

Any recommendations for getting rid of them please?
Pick 'em off and squash 'em.
Old 29-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
............ are having a great feed on my sprout plants.

Any recommendations for getting rid of them please?
One way to shift them, and very cheap too, is with a handfull of fag ends, soak in hot water, when cool strain the liquid, and spray. Simple, effective, cheap, readily available, and it will kill most pests - even people so I'm told, but I have not tested that.

One caveat, don't eat the plants untill a week has passed, by that time your 'organic' spray will have broken down and lost any nasty stuff.

Tim.

Old 29-09-2008, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 11:34:22 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

grant wrote:

Any recommendations for getting rid of them please?

Don't know brand names across the pond, but BT, Bacillus Thuregensis, works
well. Germ warfare for cabbage worms.

Thanks Gary - certainly looks the business.

I have searched via Google and cannot actually find any in the UK -
although there are plenty of references to it being used world-wide -
how good, how safe it is

Anyone in the UK used it - knows of a name
Old 01-10-2008, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from grant contains these words:

............ are having a great feed on my sprout plants.

Any recommendations for getting rid of them please?

Spray them with water you've boiled rhubarb leaves in - but don't tell
the EU Police...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 16-10-2008, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Oct, 12:28, Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

It can be as simple as cutting back a set number of days before a show.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

The problem of geting plants to perfection for a show is whilst you
can do everything to get the flowering timing by disbudding etc you
can't regulate the weather, so you will find the larger growers have
cold store to hold plants back and heated greenhouse to bring them on,
so they are growing several sets with the aim of geting one set to
perfection.
The smaller grower has to hope they get the timing of stopping right.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.