Old 29-09-2008, 12:11 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default eucalyptus oil to control garden pests aphids....

"YMC" wrote in message
u...
Hi,

Has anyone else tried using Kevin Walsh, ABC radio, receipe for
controlling garden pests?

He includes

1 teaspoon of eucalyptus oil
1 teaspoon of biodegradable liquid detergent
500ml of water

Mix the ingredients together in a small sprayer. Always shake thoroughly
before each use.
Spray around seedlings and base of plants, and under leaves to ensure
spray actually contacts the insect it is trying to control.
Use to control many garden pests including aphids, pear and cherry slug,
caterpillars, whitefly, mealybugs, etc.
Do not store made up spray. Thoroughly wash sprayer after use.

Ingredients: 100% pure eucalyptus oil.

I thought of using it on my azaelas which have small black bugs
underneath.

I have been fighting aphinds here, I'm about 8km from Perth. Tried the
remnants of "bug Gun" and a "pyrethrum" trigger pack. Were still there a few
days later. Tried a mix of neem leaf extract, pyrethrum and methylated
spirits and still there 3 days later. Got the hose out and blasted them off
and 3 days later back again. Got the eucalyptus oil out and made up this mix
and will see how it goes. I have never notice aphids this bad. I used to
have one bush that got affected while the others remained virtually
untouched. I wandered next door to have a look at what was happening there
and the story is aphids down at least 3 inches under every bud. Something
has made it the aphids time. I just hope I have them knocked off before the
thrips arrive. I am looking forward to the first blooms after pruning in
late July and I am so disheartened by the numbers of aphids and just hope
the flowers will be ok.