Old 30-09-2008, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Pumpkins and Squashs

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
How have you all done with your pumpkins and squashes this year?
Ours are excellent, the pumpkins have grown well without constant water
and we have just harvested 43 full sized ripe butternuts from 6 plants.
Needless to say we have already started giving them away.
Last year the few we got rotted after a month or so in storage because
they didn't ripen properly.

It has been too wet here in N. Wilts to be really good this year, but we had
a small crop of about 45 lbs. of different varieties. Our "Prince" (blue
skin) didn't do well, unlike in previous years when it was our main crop, we
only had a couple of them; but we have had several quite large pink banana
squashes, about 1-1/2 feet long. The rest are mostly Kuri and Turk's
turbans.

Last year's winter squashes lasted until only a month or so ago. Pumpkins
are not such good keepers.

We visited the RHS Three Counties Show (or whatever it's called) in Malvern
yesterday, to see the splendid vegetables. As we entered the building the
first things we saw were two giant pumpkins/squashes, the largest being
something like 1,350 lbs. And a couple of the carrots had roots going for
about 8 feet. Amazing.

someone