Old 29-09-2008, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pumpkins and Squashs

How have you all done with your pumpkins and squashes this year?
Ours are excellent, the pumpkins have grown well without constant water and
we have just harvested 43 full sized ripe butternuts from 6 plants. Needless
to say we have already started giving them away.
Last year the few we got rotted after a month or so in storage because they
didn't ripen properly.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-09-2008, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
How have you all done with your pumpkins and squashes this year?

Didn't grow any and my cucumbers died :-(

Ours are excellent, the pumpkins have grown well without constant water
and we have just harvested 43 full sized ripe butternuts from 6 plants.

Show off!

Needless to say we have already started giving them away.

I'll take some off yer 'ands, guv ...

Last year the few we got rotted after a month or so in storage because
they didn't ripen properly.

Don't send rotten ones!

Mary

Old 29-09-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
How have you all done with your pumpkins and squashes this year?

Not too well. All but one of my butternut squashes were eaten by something
(slugs probably) and the one remaining one is a bit slow growing. The plant
doesn't look too sharp either.

Old 29-09-2008, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 29, 5:19*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
How have you all done with your pumpkins and squashes this year?
Ours are excellent, the pumpkins have grown well without constant water and
we have just harvested 43 full sized ripe butternuts from 6 plants. Needless
to say we have already started giving them away.
Last year the few we got rotted after a month or so in storage because they
didn't ripen properly.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

They sound great!!! It is a really nice thing to be able to store
them up if they ripen well.
As I said before, we had 2 plants of Ushiki Kuri that did really well
(6 butternut squash sized pumpkins from each; these look like small
Halloween style pumpkins; each enough to feed 5-6 roasted) but only
because I got them in the ground and established back in early May
before the weather went dire. 4 plants of 2 other varieties were
established too late (wet/windy weather just made them sulk) and
produced one small pumpkin between them. We had 2 courgettes but they
sulked and did not produce much. We also had one Cucumber (Telegraph
improved) and it was brilliant in a greenhouse (6 or so huge cucumbers
over 2 months). Overall it was a miserable summer here in Dublin but
many of our plants loved it. We have a pear tree that is almost
falling over with pears.

Des

Old 29-09-2008, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:27:28 -0700 (PDT), Des Higgins
wrote and included this (or some of this):

We also had one Cucumber (Telegraph
improved) and it was brilliant in a greenhouse (6 or so huge cucumbers
over 2 months). Overall it was a miserable summer here in Dublin but
many of our plants loved it. We have a pear tree that is almost
falling over with pears.

If I didn't get at least 35 full-grown cucumbers from one of my
greenhouse cucumbers I'd be well disappointed.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Old 29-09-2008, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:27:28 -0700 (PDT), Des Higgins
wrote and included this (or some of this):

We also had one Cucumber (Telegraph
improved) and it was brilliant in a greenhouse (6 or so huge cucumbers
over 2 months). Overall it was a miserable summer here in Dublin but
many of our plants loved it. We have a pear tree that is almost
falling over with pears.

If I didn't get at least 35 full-grown cucumbers from one of my
greenhouse cucumbers I'd be well disappointed.

Normally my cucs do very well, this is the first year I haven't had any :-(

Mary

Old 29-09-2008, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| How have you all done with your pumpkins and squashes this year?
| Ours are excellent, the pumpkins have grown well without constant water and
| we have just harvested 43 full sized ripe butternuts from 6 plants. Needless
| to say we have already started giving them away.

One fairly miserable potimarron, though it ripened OK. Two good-sized
Queensland blue, but the one we have eaten was VERY watery. And lots
and lots of little gem - but those are Curcurbita pepo, which does
better in cool conditions than C. maxima.

I am amazed that you have got butternuts (which I think are C. moschata)
to fruit and ripen - you must have had a better year than I have!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-09-2008, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
How have you all done with your pumpkins and squashes this year?
Ours are excellent, the pumpkins have grown well without constant water
and we have just harvested 43 full sized ripe butternuts from 6 plants.
Needless to say we have already started giving them away.
Last year the few we got rotted after a month or so in storage because
they didn't ripen properly.

It has been too wet here in N. Wilts to be really good this year, but we had
a small crop of about 45 lbs. of different varieties. Our "Prince" (blue
skin) didn't do well, unlike in previous years when it was our main crop, we
only had a couple of them; but we have had several quite large pink banana
squashes, about 1-1/2 feet long. The rest are mostly Kuri and Turk's
turbans.

Last year's winter squashes lasted until only a month or so ago. Pumpkins
are not such good keepers.

We visited the RHS Three Counties Show (or whatever it's called) in Malvern
yesterday, to see the splendid vegetables. As we entered the building the
first things we saw were two giant pumpkins/squashes, the largest being
something like 1,350 lbs. And a couple of the carrots had roots going for
about 8 feet. Amazing.

someone

Old 30-09-2008, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| No idea, Val. Some of the nursery staff grew them as a friendly
| competition! I'll find out if any of them remember what they grew! Mind
| you, it's a compost heap that just about needs its own post code!

Precisely the place to plant pumpkins in to grow them to coach size!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-09-2008, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/9/08 09:39, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| No idea, Val. Some of the nursery staff grew them as a friendly
| competition! I'll find out if any of them remember what they grew! Mind
| you, it's a compost heap that just about needs its own post code!

Precisely the place to plant pumpkins in to grow them to coach size!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

We'll pass on the mice, though, thanks! Yes, they must have been very happy
on that heap, large, warm and sunny - when there was any sun. I counted
about a dozen, I think so will have to check with them just what they
cropped.
The type used was Sutton's 'Hundredweight', for those who wanted to know,
BTW.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-09-2008, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote

| How have you all done with your pumpkins and squashes this year?
| Ours are excellent, the pumpkins have grown well without constant water
and
| we have just harvested 43 full sized ripe butternuts from 6 plants.
Needless
| to say we have already started giving them away.

One fairly miserable potimarron, though it ripened OK. Two good-sized
Queensland blue, but the one we have eaten was VERY watery. And lots
and lots of little gem - but those are Curcurbita pepo, which does
better in cool conditions than C. maxima.

I am amazed that you have got butternuts (which I think are C. moschata)
to fruit and ripen - you must have had a better year than I have!

The variety was "Sprinter" which is supposed to be good for growing in the
UK.

We have grown various squashes in the past but don't bother now as I found I
didn't like them cooked in any shape or form. We both love Butternuts (and
Marrows) though.
The pumpkins we do grow (Atlantic Giant) are simply for a laugh and for
Halloween, they then go on the compost heap.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden