Old 30-09-2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob Gillespie[_2_] Bob Gillespie[_2_] is offline

Default Watermelon?

Thanks for the tile advise. Will do much better next year. I've put some
small seed starter trays under the few watermelons that still look OK.

Bob

"Bob Gillespie" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,
Live in northeast Florida and basically have sand for my soil. Put down
several bags of compost to form a hill, planted watermelon seed, and
expected with fertilizer to reap a bountiful harvest. Getting a few
watermelons but some of them seem to develop rot from laying on the sand
and the scrap grass. Should I have put down some weed inhibiting layer
before the watermelons started to grow and keep them on the material after
they sprouted?
Bob